DC Chefs Celebrate FRESHFARM Markets 15 Year Anniversary & Basket Giveaway
Since opening the inaugural Dupont Circle FRESHFARM Market 15 years ago, FRESHFARM Markets has grown into the largest network of producer-only farmers markets in the region and a national leader in the local food movement. To celebrate their 15 Year Anniversary FRESHFARM Market will host a series of events throughout the month of July. Celebrations will take place throughout DC area restaurants and bars the entire month of July, at all 11 FRESHFARM Markets the week of July 10 – 15, and will culminate with a 15th Anniversary Birthday Bash at the Dupont Circle FRESHFARM Market from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m on Sunday, July 15, which has been proclaimed FRESHFARM Markets Day by Mayor Vincent Gray.
Reflecting the close connection between FRESHFARM Markets and the culinary community in the nation’s capital, 22 DC-area’s chefs, restaurants and mixologists will wish FRESHFARM Markets happy anniversary with special farmers market inspired menu and cocktail offerings, with many donating a portion of their sales to FRESHFARM Markets. Highlighting the connection between FRESHFARM Markets and each of its market communities, all 11 FRESHFARM Markets will host special activities July 10 – 15 including cooking demonstrations and market basket giveaways. The grand finale will be the 15th Anniversary Birthday Bash at Dupont Circle FRESHFARM Market on Sunday, July 15 bringing together live music, great local food and kids activities.
Restaurant and Mixology Offerings Throughout July
Participants include: 8407kitchenbar, America Eats, Art and Soul, Cedar, Columbia Room, Cure Bar & Bistro, Dino, Estadio, Firefly, Fuel, Hay Adams Hotel, Oyamel, Passenger Bar, Pizzeria Paradiso, Restaurant Eve, Restaurant Nora, RIS, Rogue 24, Soupergirl, Sweetgreen, Three Little Pigs Charcuterie, and Urbana Restaurant and Wine Bar.
Highlights include a chef-led tour of the Dupont Circle FRESHFARM Market followed by brunch and private cooking lesson for 12 at Dino priced at $100; drink specials at Estadio the entire month of July including their infamous Slushito, Sangria and Gin and Tonic; and Urbana Restaurant and Wine Bar’s market pizza sourced directly from the Dupont Circle FRESHFARM Market.
Week Long Celebrations at Market July 10 – 15
Each of the markets will be decked out with birthday inspired decor and shoppers will have the chance to win a FRESHFARM Market birthday basket stocked with seasonal produce and artisanal products. You can also win an exclusive Birthday basket right here via Dining in DC! Comment below about what farmers market you frequent for a chance to win the gift basket!
This Farmers market inspired basket was especially curated by FRESHFARM Markets for Dining in DC, valued at $60.
- $15 of FRESHFARM Market market dollars to be spent at any of the 11 FRESHFARM Market producer-only farmers markets in DC, Maryland and Virginia (www.freshfarmmarkets.org)
- Some goodies from FRESHFARM Market farmers and producers
- FoodPrints Food Lab recipe book featuring a collection of recipes and stories from FRESHFARM Markets FoodPrints Food Lab where an edible organic garden is integrated into the school curriculum to inspire children to learn about where food comes from and how important it is to health fresh, healthy and season foods.
- FRESHFARM Markets baseball hat.
- 3B Bags – reusable produce bags
- The Grassfed Gourmet Cookbook – Healthy Cooking and Good Living with Pasture-Raised Foods by Shannon Hayes.
- A FRESHFARM Markets Mid-Atlantic seasonality guide
- A FRESHFARM Markets Top 10 Reasons to Shop at a Farmers Market
- Mini skillet
Comment below about what farmers market you frequent for a chance to win the gift basket!
One winner will be selected at random on Monday, July 16th at 12 p.m. The basket can be picked up at the Dupont Circle market on Sunday, July 22nd or at the FRESHFARM Market offices after Tues., July 24th.
Congrats to Winner Jackie Woodbury!!
Many of the FRESHFARM Markets will host Chef at Market demonstrations from longtime supporters. Demonstrations include: Chef Drew Terp from Jaleo on Tuesday, July 10th at 3:30 p.m. (Crystal City FRESHFARM Market); Chef Orlando Amaro from Station 4 on Thursday, July 12th at 4 p.m. (Penn Quarter FRESHFARM Market); Chef Pedro Matamoros from 8407kitchenbar on Saturday, July 14th at 11a.m. (Silver Spring FRESHFARM Market); Chef David McCallum from Tilghman Island Inn on Saturday, July 14th at 9:30 a.m. (St. Michaels FRESHFARM Market).
The weekend markets, including Annapolis FRESHFARM Market, Bethesda FRESHFARM Market, Dupont Circle FRESHFARM Market, H St., NE FRESHFARM Market, Silver Spring FRESHFARM Market, St. Michaels FRESHFARM Market will host a kid-friendly vegetable and fruit passport game with farm inspired temporary tattoos prizes. Other family-friendly activities include music from the Kim Reynolds Quartet at the Silver Spring FRESHFARM Market and a farm themed mural that kids can add their own designs to at the Annapolis FRESHFARM Market.
The inaugural farmers who helped launch the Dupont Circle FRESHFARM Market 15 years ago will be recognized with 4-H inspired blue ribbons at market on Sunday. Market shoppers and local food lovers are invited to post reflections on what FRESHFARM Markets and its farmers and producers mean to them and how they have made a difference in their lives in two ways – online or at the Dupont Circle market on Sunday, July 15th. To leave their comments online, please visit the anniversary tribute from FRESHFARM Markets Co-Founders and Co-Executive Directors Ann Yonkers and Bernie Prince on the ‘fresh picked’ section of the website (www.freshfarmmarkets.org) throughout the month of July. Supporters can also visit the Anniversary board located at the Dupont Circle market information tent on Sunday and leave their comments.
Birthday Bash at Dupont Circle FRESHFARM Market on Sunday, July 15
An old-fashioned birthday party at the site of the very first market marks the final tribute to the 15th Anniversary of FRESHFARM Markets. The party will be held in the original market location in the PNC Bank parking lot at Massachusetts Avenue and P Street, N.W. from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. The party is free, but donations are happily accepted.
The party includes:
- Live music curated by Sweetgreen including John and Paul Thornley Brothers of U.S. Royalty and Modern Man.
- Local, fresh food and beverages from FRESHFARM Market producers and supporters will be available for purchase. Participants include Capital Kettle Corn, Chipotle, Eco-Friendly Foods, Honest Tea, Executive Chef Tony Breeze and celebrity crab picker Georgia Cephas from the Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Resort, Jaleo with their giant paella, Red Apron Butchery, Sweetgreen and Pleasant Pops.
- Face painting and balloon twisting.
- The chance to win great raffle prizes including one of Sweetgreen’s coveted bikes, gift certificates from area restaurants and more.
- Ceremonial birthday cake cutting with invited dignitaries.