DC Area Restaurants and Bloggers Unite to Take a Bite out of Breast Cancer in October
October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month and for the first time in the Nation’s Capital, breast cancer awareness is served on a plate. For the entire month, more than 24 participating restaurants will donate a portion of their proceeds to the first annual Take A Bite out of Breast Cancer to support Pink Jams!, an outreach and fundraising campaign focusing on early detection in young women and men under 40 years old.
As Chairwoman, I have enlisted who I consider to be the backbone of the DC dining scene, the local food bloggers to help get the word out. Each of the 34 food bloggers will serve as an “Ambassador” and will partner with a participating restaurant on various days throughout the month:
- October 1-31: Annie’s Bistro Francais: Dine out in Bethesda and enjoy authentic French cuisine made with love. Paris native, Chef and co-owner Carole Robert, a three-time breast cancer survivor is proud to support Take a Bite out of Breast Cancer for dinner Monday through Saturday (closed Sunday) in October. Andrea Monica, the Bethesda Foodie (a.k.a. guru) will serve as an Ambassador. Also, even though Annie’s isn’t participating in Brunch, the ladies behind Bitches Who Brunch, Becca and Cori Sue will be lending a hand at Annie’s to help pack the house.
- October 1-31: The Light Horse Restaurant: With two staff members who have family that struggled with breast cancer, this Old Town eatery is ready to help “take a bite” out of breast cancer. Also ready and wiling is Erika Anderson of The Sweet Life and Sarah Jameson of The Chubette, who will serve as Ambassadors. So dine out and don’t forget to tell the restaurant that you’re there for PinkJams! For every person who says, “I am here to Take a Bite out of Breast Cancer!” the Light Horse will donate $5 to PinkJams!
- October 4-5: Hank’s Oyster Bar: I will personally be at most of the restaurants throughout the month; however, I will be hosting the DC Food Blogger Happy Hour at Hank’s Oyster Bar in Dupont Circle on Wednesday, October 5th. Join us at Hank’s in Dupont on Tuesday, October 4th and 5th for some good eats for a good cause. Hank’s will be donating 25% of proceeds to PinkJams! Tomorrow, you can slurp down some oysters at Hank’s in Old Town, as well.
- October 4, 11, 18, & 25: Luna Grill & Diner: Laetitia-Laure Brock of FrenchTwistDC, Dana from Casa Cheese Wine and Elizabeth from District Murphy will serve as Ambassadors to Luna Grill & Diner in Dupont Circle whose owners, who have a personal connection to the cause. Luna will generously donate 25% of proceeds every Tuesday evening in October. If you’re on the red line, join these fabulous ladies! With four evenings to dine out, you have plenty of opportunities to help a great cause and nosh on some great food!
- October 5, 12, 19, & 26: Chef Tony’s: Dine out in one of Bethesda’s hidden gems every Wednesday in October and 10% from both Lunch and Dinner will be donated to Pink Jams! Rebecca of I Wanna Be A Domestic Goddess, Lori of Been There Eaten That and Marie-Noelle of Lunching in the DMV will serve as Ambassadors.
- October 6, 13, 20 & 27: Luna Grill Shirlington: The sister location of Luna Grill Dupont in Shirlington will help “take a bite” out of breast cancer and generously donate 25% of proceeds every Thursday evening in October. Join Beatrice of Full is a state of mind and JC Gibbs of Little Lady Cook while helping to support the campaign.
- October 10, 17, 24 & 31: Josie’s Frozen Yogurt: Monica Sethi, founder of e-Buzz Edge will help make sure Josie’s in Fairfax is buzzing every Monday in October. Enjoy a healthy treat and 15% of proceeds will be donated to PinkJams!
- October 11: Tonic Foggy Bottom: Blogger Anthony Rivera of Done Like Dundee…Gone like Gandhi will serve as an Ambassador to Tonic Foggy Bottom on October 11th and at Tonic Mount Pleasant, where he bartends, on October 18th who will donate 25% of proceeds (including alcohol sales) to PinkJams!. He posted a touching personal story about all of the family members that have struggled with breast cancer. He said, “if Take a Bite accomplishes it’s mission with only one person, without a question it would be worth it.” Bindesh from Desigrub will also be there to help pack the house for a good cause.
- October 12: Bangkok Joe’s and Ristorante Piccolo: “Take a bite” out of breast cancer at two locations in Georgetown. Vanessa and Markette, the ladies behind DC on Heels will be rounding up the beautiful people at Bangkok Joe’s including special guests Miss District of Columbia, Ashley Boalch, and Miss District of Columbia USA, Heather Swann to take full advantage of their 25% proceeds donation from dinner. Join Dining in DC and Micky from What Micky Eats at Ristorante Piccolo for a fantastic evening of cocktails and carbs. 25% of proceeds (including alcohol) will be donated to PinkJams! so cheers!
- October 13 & 20: Pesce Restaurant: Jill of Cuisine Queen and Sylvie Nguyen of Thrifty DC Cook will serve as the Ambassadors for the legendary Pesce in Dupont Circle, who is generously donating 35% of proceeds on two Thursdays, October 13th and 20th. Jill says, “come say hello and eat delicious food for a good cause!”
- October 14: Tuscana West: Did you ever think you could combine your love of eating and drinking with a great cause? Well, you can. Join me, Johnna Rowe of Johnna Knows Good Food, and Katie of Well Fed and Rested at Tuscana West for bite and a cocktail on Friday, October 14th. It will be a very special TGIF! 25% of proceeds (including alcohol) will be donated to PinkJams! so cheers!
- October 17: Thai Shirlington: Enjoy some authentic Thai food and join Beatrice of Full is a state of mind and JC Gibbs of Little Lady Cook to “take a bite” out of breast cancer. I am also planning on being there, so I hope you’ll stop by.
- October 18: Tonic Mt. Pleasant & The Last Exit: Dining in DC will co-host a happy hour/social with DC Capital Striders running group for some serious good times! Come by for a drink and a chance to win a door prize. 25% of proceeds (including alcohol) will be donated to PinkJams! so join me for a drink and some tots!
- October 18 & 19: Paradise Biryani Pointe: Indian food is by far one of my favorites! Join me for lunch and dinner in Herndon, VA for some delicious authentic Indian cuisine. 25% of proceeds from both lunch and dinner will be donated to PinkJams! so invite your co-workers and friends!
October 23: Todd Gray’s Watershed: “Grab your swords and pitchforks, readers. It’s time to kick the $%@& outta breast cancer, ” says Ambassador and food blogger Mary Kong of Girl Meets Food. Enjoy some regional seafood in the up-and-coming new DC ‘hood NoMa at Todd Gray’s Watershed. Award-winning chef Todd Gray does not disappoint in his new digs. Join Me, Mary and Micky Mervin of What Micky Eats and help “take a bite” out of breast cancer.
- October 24: Roscoe’s Neapolitan Pizzeria: In Takoma Park, Roscoe’s will donate 25% of proceeds from both lunch and dinner to PinkJams! Enjoy a slice (or two) for a good cause!
- October 27: Madam’s Organ: Last but not least, you won’t want to miss our finale at Madam’s Organ! Sure to be a great time with bloggers Daphne Domingo of GoGastronomy, Rohan of District 365, and Vivi from Forking DC. Help “take a bite” out of breast cancer in Adam’s Morgan. For each drink/cocktail you order, $1 goes to PinkJams!. Also, 20% of the food sales, so be sure to indulge in some of the best soul food in town! On top of the $1 donation for each drink, Madam’s also has a $1 off drinks happy hour special until 8:00 p.m.
Thank you for your support!!